Tuesday, April 7, 2009

a time to reflect...


It's holy week again...
The season of reflection and sacrifice and abstinence..

Our Lord Jesus Christ sacrificed his life for our sins, he was crucified and died on the cross...sometimes I wonder was it worth it? am I worth sacrificing? are we worth sacrificing?

Although I am Catholic and a strong believer in Jesus Christ as my saviour, I have not been very religious lately...years ago when I was a teenager I used to sing in the church as a member of a choir. And I have to admit that it was the time when I really felt the strong foundation of being a christian..because I believe that if you want to experience the glory of God's power, to be inspired and to see the world in a different view, you have to practice your faith...

When I left and moved to a bigger city in Cebu and then here in Manila things have changed a lot...life in the big city can be very very different, can be tempting, can be wicked, can be consuming...I guess I was consumed by my need for comfort, money, earthly desires, lust, vanity and so on....

I just wish I could think of all these things everyday and gain control, not just today, not just during the season of lent...

Now, I ask myself, what am i willing to sacrifice? I'd make it simple and make a little list...

- sex is absolutely out this week
- meat is not an option and it will benefit me cuz i'm dieting
- alcohol
- i'll pray and meditate and really reflect on where this life is heading...i'm praying for guidance so that my life would not be focused on things that i want but rather things i need...
how about you, what are you willing to sacrifice?

No comments:

Eminimall